Join Our Team
Strategic Grant Partners is currently looking to fill the following position(s):
PORTFOLIO ANALYST JOB DESCRIPTION (BOSTON) Portfolio analysts work across the portfolios of Strategic Grant Partners (SGP) and One8 Foundation, two foundations who share office space and similar philosophies and approaches to grant making.
OVERVIEW OF THE FOUNDATIONS
Strategic Grant Partners (SGP) is a venture philanthropy and pro-bono consulting firm that invests in, and works closely with, great leaders with game-changing ideas that have the potential to dramatically improve the lives of children and families in Massachusetts. Through rigorous due diligence and active partnership with entrepreneurial leaders, SGP works to scale proven programs and create new solutions that address critical societal problems. Our focus areas include K-12 education, family self-sufficiency, college/work readiness, child welfare, and early childhood. SGP’s goals are to:
- Incubate promising ideas in Massachusetts with a high potential for impact.
- Help local organizations with proven success to disseminate learnings and/or scale their models.
- Invest in national organizations with proven results to expand into Massachusetts.
One8 Foundation believes that education is the doorway to equal opportunity and self-sufficiency, and that education in the 21st Century requires a higher bar for what students need to know in order to secure careers with adequate incomes and meaningful advancement opportunities. Currently, the U.S. is 31st among the 35 OECD industrialized nations in math competency and 20th in reading, and our country’s aspiration should be to make an outstanding education attainable to all, regardless of zip code. This is the social justice issue of our time, and the health and sustainability of our democracy depends on an educated citizenry that have the problem solving, critical thinking and STEM skills necessary to succeed in the new economy. The One8 Foundation’s goals are to:
- Identify, pilot and scale innovations with proven results.
- Support a research agenda to confirm and publicize a definition of educational excellence.
- Launch activities and incentives to seed and build local capacity and interest in successful initiatives.
THE PORTFOLIO ANALYST POSITION SGP and One8 Foundation are a lean and nimble team. Portfolio analysts are responsible for identifying potential grant opportunities through robust due diligence of investment areas and organizations, providing consulting or strategic planning support for grantees, and conducting research on areas of interest to build the foundations’ internal knowledge. Analysts report to portfolio managers and split time working across the two grant making portfolios. They can expect broad exposure to the education sector and to become active members in our collaborative culture that includes bi-weekly education team meetings and lots of brainstorming and knowledge sharing. Analyst responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct research and due diligence on potential investment areas and organizations.
- Perform all necessary analyses, which may include benchmarking, financial modeling, competitive assessment, and analysis of organizational outcomes.
- Assess quality and sustainability of organizational leadership, strategic plans, and business model.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of SGP and the One8 Foundation’s areas of concentration; scour sources of information to get smart on organizations and issue areas.
- Assist in development and refinement of strategic, business and/or implementation plans in partnership with leaders from grantee organizations and/or potential grantees.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions, which focus on issues such as theory of change, model codification, strategic priorities, articulation of outcomes, etc.
- Provide strategic and “block & tackle” support to grantees in the execution of strategic plans, offering analysis and advice on program implementation, outcomes, finances, human capital and other areas.
- Foster strong working relationships and effective channels of communication with leaders from both grantee organizations and potential grantees.
- Prepare investment white papers for SGP and One8 Foundation’s board meetings.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS Qualified candidates will possess:
- A strong belief that the cycle of poverty can be broken, and that life outcomes of children can be dramatically improved, with a high quality education and appropriate supports.
- 2-4 years of experience at a top tier consulting firm.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze and interpret programmatic, management and financial information, and sift through information to unearth relevant implications and opportunities.
- Strong and creative problem solving capabilities.
- A strong commitment to act, break down barriers and be part of the solution.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse people and organizations.
- A love of learning and achievement and the desire and skills to help others succeed.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, take initiative and solve problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail; ability to produce error-free and high impact work product in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
APPLICATION PROCESS SGP and One8 Foundation are Equal Opportunity Employers and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to Garrett Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org.